Saturday, December 7, 2013

  Penalty of Law...

Under penalty of law this tag cannot be removed, except by consumer.  Thus reads the tags on many things. In 'olden' days this tag left off (except by consumer).
I was especially irritated by those tags on 'my' mattress.  How dare 'they' tell me I had to leave that ugly tag attached.  Were 'they' going to come into my house and check tags?  Say, make a sweep through the neighborhood to check mattress tags?  And what was the penalty?  Jail time?
That ole rebel in me rose up.  I cut and tore off those tags.  And threw them away.  Nobody ever checked. I doubt if my kids ever realized what a lawbreaker their mother was.
Recently, I purchased a lap desk, so I could have a firm writing surface while sitting outside. There it was 'under penalty of law... However, except by consumer was there.  I don't know when that phrase was added.  It probably was one of those laws that worked it's way through various law making agencies. There is probably a good and useful reason. But, I fail to see what it could be. Just think of all the ink that could be saved.
Oh my, I just turned the tag over: Warnings and Cautions
#1 Don't use for sleeping.
#2 Not a toy.
#3 Choking hazard.
#4 Avoid inhaling filling.
Plus, four more warnings.
I was thinkin'.  How many people even read these warnings.  How many rip or cut them off? How many don't care or notice?
The other day one of Dan's Tshirts came through the wash inside out. I noticed a tag, got my scissors and grabbed the tag. Much to my surprise, there was a picture of scissors and cut lines.  Perhaps, others are bothered also.
How many pay attention to God's warnings.  Under penalty of law...Galatians 5:13-26 gives us examples, reasons, penalties and a wonderful escape clause...Live by the spirit!
And it is obvious who is doing so. Those living by the Spirit will show these signs: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law-- no penalty.
No warning tag to rip off, just a Bible to warn and direct and a Spirit to empower.


No comments:

Post a Comment