Monday, August 11, 2014

Brilliant

Today, I read Psalm 8 in the Message.  God, brilliant Lord. He made the heavens and earth.  Then He made us.  “Very good.” He said.  Then He put us in charge of all His creation.

When I look at what we have done with His charge I am amazed.  If I was God, I would have made certain we were responsible enough to take on the task.

Then for some reason I thought of the doll my Grandma gave me when I was 10.  A beautiful doll.  Probably two feet tall.  Porcelain head and hands.  Leather body.  A real treasure even 60 years ago.  She trusted me as a 10 year old to care for her precious childhood doll.  Eight years ago I gave that same doll to my youngest granddaughter.  She was 10 at the time and the only one of the five granddaughters interested in dolls.

Let’s calculate a bit. If my Grandma was 10 when she got the doll, the doll is probably 120 years old.  She is in beautiful shape, probably worth some money.  But much more in sentimental value – a real treasure.

Why would I give a 10 year old a valuable treasure?  Because I love her.  Because I trust  her to treasure and care for my Grandma’s doll as I had for 50 plus years.

Why did Go give us the huge task of caring for His beloved earth and all creation?  Because H loves us.  Because He trusts us.

 I wonder, was that really Brilliant?

God, brilliant Lord…


No comments:

Post a Comment