Friday, September 8, 2017

September

This is from my writing class...

September...

Thirty days hath September...

The lazy hazy days of summer are beginning to fade away. Replaced by the cool crisp mornings, sunny, warm afternoons and cool, clear nights.

September brings great joy and excitement. My first granddaughter, Audrey, was born in September. My first great granddaughter, Adeline, was born thirty years later in September.

And then 9/11. A horrifying day. Many died. Many became heroes. The nation drew together. Families checked on one another, 'Where are you?' each of our kids called and inquired. And each year a return to the events of that day.

School starts. Personally, I would prefer an October start. Let school out in June. A sunny, hot, cloudy, rainy, cold month. September is wonderful. Leaves changing color before leaving trees bare for the winter.

Giant V's filling the sky. (This morning 17 V's and long trailing lines heading north filled the sky. I would expect South, maybe I'm confused)

And now the aftermath of Harvey. Water and destruction everywhere. Also the fires, forests and homes gone. Exhauster workers, loss of people and animals.

Disaster... bringing out the best in most and the worst in some. And here the hazy sky reminding me of how blessed I am. Smoke from far off fires and the noise from heavy machinery as our street and sidewalk are torn up to be replaced. It will be a better place in another month.

Thirty days hath September... eight are already gone...

I think September is my favorite month, maybe not this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment