Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Plans Change...


The Plan…

Dan and I got married before his senior year and my junior year in college. We would graduate, teach and then start a family

Plans change...

Time to reverse the plan. Surprise! We were starting a family. OK. Dan would graduate. I would finish my junior year. Have the baby and finish college.


Macintosh HD:Users:Judy:Desktop:IMG_0379.jpg       Macintosh HD:Users:Judy:Desktop:IMG_0378.jpg        Macintosh HD:Users:Judy:Desktop:IMG_0377 (1).jpg

That plan changed too...

Three babies and four years later, Dan decided to return to college and get his Masters Degree. I would then finish my senior year.

Plans change again…

A mix-up with grades caused Dan’s fellowship to collapse and vanish. He took a long-term substitute position in Spokane. I student taught 1st grade then another student teaching in 7th and 8th grade. I got hired to teach 3rd grade beginning in January. But, I had to finish my BA before I could teach. So, I took a correspondence class and one or two night classes. All this totaled 26 credits for fall quarter and a BA in December.

Again plans change...   

Macintosh HD:Users:Judy:Desktop:IMG_0376.jpgFast-forward 10 years…
I taught Special Reading for six months. Finished my 5th year of college and began my second year of teaching. The first day of school my principal showed up, “You are one credit short.” Somehow, one credit was earned before I taught a full year. I called Olympia. The Queen and final word on teacher certification, informed me, “You should have taught school instead of staying home and raising kids!". This was said by, the single ‘in’ charge of credentials lady.

One credit! OK! I can do this. I called Central Washington College. I did a directed study, finished in one week (got an A). Done. The credit was sent here, there and nowhere to be found. Lost! My job could no longer be held. Home Again!

Another 10 years…
Two kids in college, Karmen a junior in High School and once again, I began my beloved teaching career.


I would not change all these changes, even if I could. I was able to accomplish my most important job in the world… I was home with my kids…
PRICELESS…


No comments:

Post a Comment