Monday, May 31, 2010

Jesus Shouted

Jesus Shouted!

Hard to believe. My momma brought me up not to shout - unless the house was on fire or I was at a sporting event. But the Bible says, Jesus shouted. (John 11) He shouted at a friend. A dearly beloved friend. One he had avoided for 4 days.

Then he went to see him and shouted at him. That doesn’t seem very friendly or loving. He shouted because his friend was dead. Lazarus was in his grave. “Lazarus, come out!”

Out came Lazarus. He was bound or wrapped head to toe with a handkerchief over his face. I’ve always wondered how Lazarus got out.

Many years ago while visiting Israel, I “crawled” into his tomb. It was not easy. I thought then, how did he get out? Like a missile? Like a bullet? I don’t think ‘they’ carried him out. Not with Jesus shouting, “Lazarus, come out!”

Jesus’ next command was, “unwrap him, let him go!” I don’t think he shouted that order, but he certainly had their attention.


Lazarus was bound with grave cloths - because he was dead.

He stunk - because he was dead.
Lazarus was really alive, but only Jesus knew it.

What binds me?
What makes me stink?
Is Jesus the only one who knows I’m alive?
What binds you?

I think Jesus can still shout. I hope he won’t have to shout at you or me to get our attention?
Just thinkin’... Not shoutin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment