Friday, May 14, 2010

PRAYER

Prayer…

God continually introduces me to requests in which I have no interest.

I am part of several small groups. It’s wonderful. They care for and comfort me. They lift me up and encourage me.

Then there are the prayer requests. I have become so overwhelmed with prayer requests that I don’t want to hear anymore. My particular gift is not prayer.

It is not that I don’t pray. But, I am still learning to sit before God. And listen.
I have my own prayer concerns: My family. Myself. My friends. The pastor. The President. The starving children in Cambodia. Those who cut me off in traffic. Spam e-mail. Global warming. The light bulbs that we are going to have to use in a few years. Made in China. With mercury in them. You get the idea.

As I sat this morning, a lump before God, wondering where to start. Really, considering opening my Prayer Request Book and saying, “Read it Lord! And please, answer soon. I have stuff to do today. I can’t sit here all day.”

That’s what I thought. I did not actually do it because: God said, “These requests come from the hearts of your friends. There are needs out there that you do not know. Your friends need a place and a person to share their hearts. Listen! Write it down if you so desire. You are only a listening ear and a nodding head. A heart open to one of my caring hurting children. You are not expected to fix the problem. Nor to solve it. I am the answer. I know the whole situation and I will take care of it. My way. In my time. For my Glory.

When necessary, I will remind you. Then you can respond. I want your heart to be my heart full of love and concern for others.

Can you not sit with me for just a little while? I like your company. And if you listen, I will speak. And I will bless you and make you a blessing.”

1 comment: